A Summer (in IP) to Remember
Don’t miss out on the exciting initiative, Summer of IP—a dynamic Careers in Ideas campaign aimed at increasing awareness of careers in the IP sector and providing pre-application opportunities to a diverse pool of prospective candidates.
Throughout the summer of 2023, Careers in Ideas have curated a series of engaging events and activities designed to showcase the possibilities within the IP industry. From informative sessions to interactive experiences, Summer of IP offers a unique platform to explore and discover the exciting world of intellectual property careers.
Before you jump in, make sure to join the introductory events hosted by the Careers in Ideas team. These sessions will provide you with essential knowledge about intellectual property (IP) and the diverse career paths available within the field. Some events will dive deeper into specific career routes, offering guidance on crafting your application or facilitating conversations with IP professionals. Don't miss the main introductory recording, as it will give you valuable insights on how to make the most of Summer of IP.
Below you’ll find the activities and events that various IP sector employers have laid on for the Summer of IP.
Abel + Imray
- 18 July, London – Abel + Imray taster day for potential patent and trade mark attorney trainees – APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
If you’re interested in a career in intellectual property and would like to learn more, then Join Marianne Privett and Sarah Neil for a lunchtime online workshop.
- 18 July, online – “IP Detective” workshop with AA Thornton – apply ASAP
- 2 August, online – “IP Detective” workshop with AA Thornton – apply ASAP
Serle Court Chambers
- 20 July, London – taster day and mock trade mark opposition hearing with Serle Court Chambers – APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
Looking for a patent or trade mark career in Liverpool, Birmingham or London? Forresters open evenings will include an informal Q&A and a chance to network with both experienced IP attorneys and new recruits.
- 20 July, Birmingham – Forresters IP open evening about patent and trade mark careers – applications close 18 July
- 20 July, Liverpool – Forresters IP open evening about patent and trade mark careers – applications close 18 July
- 20 July, London – Forresters IP open evening about patent and trade mark careers – applications close 18 July
- First half of July (exact date TBC), Hatfield (Herts) – week of work experience with Viatris legal department – APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
- 10 August, London – Potter Clarkson open day about IP careers – applications close 17 July
- 10 August, Nottingham – Potter Clarkson open day about IP careers – applications close 17 July
- 10 August, online – Potter Clarkson open day about IP careers – applications close 17 July
- w/c 14 August, London – week of work experience with Powell Gilbert – applications close 24 July
Marks & Clerk
The Marks & Clerk events are open to anyone above the age of 18 with an interest in learning more about a career in IP and will include presentations on the IP sector and talks on a variety of job roles. The events will also facilitate the opportunity to ask questions and network with partners, attorneys, support staff and HR from Marks & Clerk!
- 15 August, Edinburgh – Marks & Clerk insight day about working in IP – applications close 28 July
- 22 August, London – Marks & Clerk insight day about working in IP – applications close 28 July
- 24 August, Manchester – Marks & Clerk insight day about working in IP – applications close 28 July
Reddie & Grose
- 23 August, London – Reddie & Grose taster day “An introduction to the patent profession” – APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
Learn about work as a Patent Attorney and even have a go at some basic patent drafting for yourself.
- 24 August, Marlow – Sagittarius IP taster day about the patent attorney role – applications close 31 July
Join online to hear from Patent Attorneys Lucy Coe, Victoria Coleman, Isobel Stone and Samuel Hart as they give an introduction into their experience of being a Patent Attorney. This event is open to anyone who’s interested in learning more about a career in IP including secondary school students, university students, graduates and career changers.
- 29 August, online – “A career as a patent attorney” – informal discussion / Q&A with Mewburn Ellis– applications close 25 August
This open evening is between 5pm and 7pm and provide talks and a Q&A session on careers in IP law for those interested in following such a career. The speakers will include HGF Manchester colleagues Lee Curtis, Theodore Jemmott, Hannah Evans and Melissa Buamah.
- 5 September, Manchester – open evening at HGF – applications close 25 August
D Young & Co
- 13 September, online – D Young & Co webinar: “A career as a patent attorney” – applications close 8 September
J A Kemp
- 14 September, London – J A Kemp open day about careers as a patent attorney – applications close 10 August
Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to expand your knowledge, network with industry professionals, and embark on a path towards a rewarding career in the IP sector. Get ready to make the most of Summer of IP and unlock your potential!
IP Inclusive launches a Summer of IP
Fellows and Associates are proud promoters of IP Inclusive's Summer of IP! Here's what IP Inclusive have to say about it...
We are excited to launch the “Summer of IP”, a series of events and work experience opportunities aimed to inform people interested in pursuing a career in IP (intellectual property). Whether you have some curiosity about what a career in IP could look like, or are interested in learning more about the range of IP professions, this campaign is open to all!
Keep reading to find out more information about our campaign and how to make the most of this fantastic opportunity…
What is Summer of IP?
The ‘Summer of IP’ is an initiative created by Careers in Ideas to help raise awareness about the various careers in IP and to attract a more diverse range of people into IP professions.
When does it launch?
Summer of IP will launch on 3rd July 2023, and will run throughout the summer period.
What opportunities are available?
There are two main elements:
Firstly, we are offering numerous exciting opportunities in which IP sector employers provide hands-on activities such as taster days and work experience opportunities. These will be taking place around the country including Birmingham, Cambridge, Liverpool and Manchester. Some of these have application deadlines coming up soon, so you will need to move quickly to secure your place!
- Click here for the summary of employer opportunities.
Secondly, we will be putting on a series of general talks organised by Careers in Ideas which will provide an introduction to IP and the different careers available. We also have more specific talks such as “Routes to legal qualification for IP solicitors and barristers”, “Applying to train as a patent or trade mark attorney” and “Working as an in-house IP professional”. There is a link to a summary of these talks below. Some of them will be pre-recorded and some will be live with a recording made available afterwards.
- Click here to find out more about our Introductory events.
Who is it targeted at?
Everyone is welcome! Whether you are a recent graduate who has never heard of IP before, someone who’s certain they want to work in the sector, or a career changer who is looking to pivot into a new sector, the ‘Summer of IP’ has events for everyone.
Why should I get involved?
First, our events are free and open to all levels, there is no IP-specific knowledge or qualifications required. We have events around the country including Birmingham, Manchester and Cambridge. Many events are also online so completely flexible and accessible to join.
This is a unique opportunity to find out more information about what a career in IP could look like, with the chance to learn from and network with top IP professionals and companies who are keen to recruit people like you!
This is also a perfect addition to your CV. Signing up to the Summer of IP events will help to boost your employability and make you stand out to employers.
If you want to find out more information, click here to access our Summer of IP webpage.
The only thing left to do is sign up! Take your first steps into the world of IP with us, and make sure to move quickly to secure your place on as many of these opportunities as soon as possible.
We will be posting more events as they are confirmed so do check back regularly!
Fellows has gone social
We're thrilled to formally announce the launch of our specialised social media services: Fellows Social. Designed exclusively for patent and trademark practices and law firms.
In today's digital age, a strong social media strategy is essential for legal services businesses seeking to expand their reach, engage with clients, and establish themselves as thought leaders in their respective fields. With our tailored social media services we'll help firms develop engaging content, and leverage the right platforms to connect with your target audience effectively.
From LinkedIn to Twitter, Facebook to Instagram, we'll create a holistic social media presence that aligns with your company’s unique values and goals. We'll work closely with you to understand your firm's expertise, identify key practice areas, and tailor content that resonates with your ideal clients.
But we don't just stop at social media, we can collaborate to create compelling and impactful video content that elevates your online presence and drives meaningful connections with your audience!
We are excited to embark on this journey so if you are interested or want to find out more about our services then contact:
Or visit Fellows Social
Check out our video showreel here