Head of IP Support Services
Mewburn Ellis would like to appoint a Head of IP Support Services, who will be responsible for providing exceptional service to their clients and support to their attorneys. The role is new and will join the senior management team, reporting to the Chief Financial & Operating Officer. It is a senior, professional role in the business: working closely with the firm’s Management Committee and its Partners.
Initially, the role will be responsible for the existing Records (Renewals and EPGs) and Client Services teams (currently 16 staff). However, Mewburn Ellis is embarking on a major, strategic project to transform the way their attorneys work and how they service clients. The creation of an IP Support Services team is a key enabler of the project. As such, the scope of the role will expand to take on additional responsibilities such as client reporting, filing, document management and billing. The team is expected to grow to include paralegals, administrators, as well as specialist formalities staff.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Managing the existing Records and Client Services teams, ensuring an excellent and trusted service to clients and attorneys.
- Embedding a service culture and maintaining a level of continuous improvement.
- Responding to requests and resolving queries from clients and attorneys.
- Managing and motivating staff across multiple locations, including supervising their priorities and workload; managing performance; and all development and coaching.
- Ensuring deadlines are met and case information is accurately recorded.
- Managing the budget and financial performance of the team.
- Working closely with other support functions, especially Finance and IT, to provide an integrated service to attorneys and their teams.
- Supporting the firm’s implementation of new Records and Document Management Systems.
- Maintaining a regular presence in all offices, including managing local teams and liaising with Partners and attorneys.
- Reviewing and improving existing processes and structures, implementing changes to improve service and increase efficiency.
- Working as a key member of the transformation project, and establishing the capacity and capability to take on additional tasks, services and responsibilities.
- Anticipating and responding to regulatory, legislative and market developments.
Skills and experience
- IP experience with a good understanding of Records and Renewals.
- Ideally, experience of operational management and/or managing client services.
- Inspirational leader and excellent communicator.
- Track record of initiating and implementing change and process improvement.
- Impact, credibility and gravitas at Board level.
- Ability to influence at a Partner level with a flexible range of negotiating skills.
Mewburn Ellis LLP is a leading European firm of Intellectual Property specialists. They provide commercially focused, creative advice on obtaining, enforcing and exploiting Intellectual Property rights including patents, trade marks and designs to a wide range of clients who enjoy our straight forward approach and flexible working practices. Their qualified patent and trade mark attorneys, along with their legal services teams, assist their clients across the entire range of IP services.
Location: Bristol, although London may also be considered
For more information or to apply for this role please contact us on +44 903 5019 or email email@example.com.